The Brisbane Portrait Prize is all about celebrating Brisbane portrait artists and their sitters.
The prize will be awarded to the best portrait produced by an artist with a connection to Brisbane and of a subject with a connection to Brisbane.
- The artist and subject must be Australian residents from the date entries open until the date finalists are notified
- The artist must be 18 years old or older
- The artist and subject must have a connection with Brisbane
- This connection must be outlined as part of the entry process
- All subjects with a connection to Brisbane are welcome and admissible, including self-portraits.
- The Brisbane Portrait Prize does encourage artists to consider producing portraits of people who have contributed to Brisbane
- Directors, Officers and Employees of the Board are not eligible to enter (however volunteers are still eligible to enter)
- All subjects must be alive at the time the artwork is produce
An original artwork, entirely completed and owned outright by the submitting artist
All artwork must be 2 dimensional
All artists must have the Subject’s consent to enter the artwork in the Competition, including ensuring they understand the artwork may be displayed to the public.
Portraits must have been completed within the 3 year period leading up to the Prize entry date
Artworks must not have won first prize in any other major portraiture competition
Taking into consideration the Federal Government’s social distancing requirements due to COVID-19, all 2020 entries will not be required to have a live sitting to enter the prize.
The subject must be aware he or she is having a portrait done, however, and have given permission.
Artwork must be:
- A maximum size of 2m high by 2m wide, inc the frame
A maximum weight of 15 kg
Wall-mountable, including use of D Rings and hanging wire.
May be multi-panelled, but must fit within the size restrictions.
Original and not infringe the copyright, moral rights or other rights of any third party.
Additionally, for Digital artworks:
- The submitted portrait may be produced using photographic elements, manipulation of the image is welcomed, and this may be in the pre or post production of the image
- Selection weight will be given to those entries that display a clear artistic and creative approach to the subject
- All digital mediums are eligible, but must be presented in a 2D printed form that can be hung in display.
- Videos and other forms of display requiring power cables are not eligible