Welcome to the 2021 Brisbane Portrait Prize – a cultural event showcasing the best in contemporary portraiture. The prize allows artists to tell rich and diverse local stories about Brisbane’s amazing icons, while recognising the transitory nature of our world.
Each year, we recruit a team of passionate and reliable volunteers (our very own heroes in orange t-shirts!) to help us run the Finalists Exhibition at the Brisbane Powerhouse, open throughout the month of October.
Volunteering at the Brisbane Portrait Prize is the perfect way to immerse yourself in a fascinating arts environment where you’ll learn, grow and connect with artists, subjects, visitors and team mates every day.
Note: If you have submitted an entry into the Portrait Prize and would like to volunteer, this is not a problem. Applying to volunteer will have no implications for your entry.
- We ask that our volunteers contribute 16-20 hours of their time throughout the month of October (or more, if you are keen!)
- Typically, this will be broken into 4-5 shifts that are four hours each. There will be a morning and afternoon shift each day.
- All shifts will be run at the Brisbane Powerhouse in New Farm – easily accessible by public transport and there is (limited) parking onsite too.
- What will you do while you’re volunteering with us?
- Warmly greet and check in Portrait Prize visitors
- Assist with general enquiries
- Learn about the portraits, artists and sitters so you can help visitors find unique pieces
- Oh, and marvel at beautiful artwork of course
- Have an interest in art and/or the events industry
- Be confident and respectful while talking to strangers
- Remain approachable while working alongside other volunteers. We are a tightknit team!
- Be reliable and commit to turn up to all rostered shifts on time
- Be courteous, enthusiastic and curious – you won’t believe what an art aficionado you’ll be by the end of October!
- Have an open attitude and maintain a clear communication line with team leaders
- Be excited to be a part of this iconic cultural event
Key dates for volunteers
- Online Prep Session – 22nd September at 6pm
- Exhibition Hang Day – 28th September
- Finalists Exhibition Opens – 29th September
- Tour Guide Training Session – 29th September at 5pm
- Volunteer Online Catchup – 11th October at 6pm
- Volunteer Appreciation Event – TBC
- Finalists Exhibition Closes – 31st October
- Exhibition Deinstall – 1st November
What’s in it for you?
- Our goal is to give you a unique volunteer experience in an environment where you are truly valued. Your time contributes to a not-for-profit project that captures art, storytelling and local history while spotlighting talented artists and their subjects, who are everyday pillars of our community.
- New skills and knowledge around art, customer service, event management and behind-the-scenes operations of a public exhibition
- Connections galore – we adore the way that the public engages with the Portrait Prize…and you never know who you might meet!
- An amazing team of fellow volunteers and leaders who really appreciate you and your contribution
- A ‘thank-you’ celebration at the conclusion of the Exhibition
- Beneficial volunteering experience that you can add to your resume / CV
Applications are now closed
Thank you so very much for your interest in volunteering with us. We’ve been blown away with the number of volunteer applications received in just 2 short weeks. We are currently working through these now and will be in touch with all applicants shortly.