Following the highly successful Under 18 Prize in 2020, the Brisbane Portrait Prize is proud to again be running a youth prize in 2021.
Newly named the ‘Next Gen‘ prize, the category is open to participants 18 years and under and encourages young artists to think about portraiture in a modern sense.
Traditionally, a portrait is a realistic portrayal of a head and face. But contemporary forms of expression have already stretched those boundaries. Does it have to be realistic? Can it be an impression of someone? Can it be a picture of their favourite thing? Or feature their favourite colour?
Entries in the Next Gen prize do not have to be created from a live sitting, although it is encouraged.
Artwork entered can be a drawing or painting, but it does not have to be. Think digital, mixed media, or tapestry
Below you will find key information about entering the Next Gen category of the Brisbane Portrait Prize.
If you have further questions, please do get in touch on email@example.com
Prize and Recognition
- The winner of the Brisbane Portrait Prize Next Gen Category will receive a $2000 prize thanks to our partner Gadens
- 4-5 works will be recognised as finalists and hung in the main finalists exhibition at the Brisbane Powerhouse throughout the month of October
- A further selection of works will be recognised as Highly Commended and invited to exhibit their works in the Gadens Foyer at 111 Eagle Street, during the month of October
- All finalists and highly commended works will be recognised in a Next Gen gallery on the Brisbane Portrait Prize website
The artist must be 18 years or under at the time of entries closing
The artist and subject must have a connection with BrisbaneThis connection must be outlined as part of the entry process
The artist and subject must be Australian residents from the date entries open until the date finalists are notified
All subjects with a connection to Brisbane are welcome and admissible, including self-portraits.
The Brisbane Portrait Prize does encourage artists to consider producing portraits of people who have contributed to Brisbane
All subjects must be alive at the time the artwork is produced
- For the Next Gen prize, artists are not required to have a live sitting.
- This means they may choose to work from a photograph.
- If the artist chooses to do this, the photograph must have been taken in the last 3 years.
- The artist must also have the sitters permission to create the portrait of their image.
- The artwork must be an original artwork, entirely completed and owned outright by the submitting artist
- All artwork must be 2 dimensional
- All artists must have the Subject’s consent to enter the artwork in the Competition, including ensuring they understand the artwork may be displayed to the public.
- Portraits must have been completed within the 3 year period leading up to the Prize entry date
- Artworks must not have won first prize in any other major portraiture competition
Artwork must be:
- A maximum size of 2m high by 2m wide, including the frame
- A maximum weight of 15 kg, including the frame
- Wall-mountable, including use of D Rings and hanging wire.
- May be multi-panelled, but must fit within the size restrictions.
- Original and not infringe the copyright, moral rights or other rights of any third party.
Additionally, for Digital artworks:
- The submitted portrait may be produced using photographic elements, manipulation of the image is welcomed, and this may be in the pre or post production of the image
- Selection weight will be given to those entries that display a clear artistic and creative approach to the subject
- All digital mediums are eligible, but must be presented in a 2D printed form that can be hung in display.
- Videos and other forms of display requiring power cables are not eligible
- A non-refundable $25 entry fee (inc GST) per entry must be paid at the time of entry. Payment must be made online via credit card.
- If you represent a school and wish to enter a number of students into the prize, please get in touch on firstname.lastname@example.org. We can issue you a single invoice for your students and then provide entry tokens to aid with the upload process.