The Brisbane Portrait Prize is all about celebrating Brisbane portrait artists and their sitters.
The prize will be awarded to the best portrait produced by an artist with a connection to Brisbane and of a subject with a connection to Brisbane.
- A non-refundable $65 entry fee (inc GST) per entry must be paid at the time of entry.
- Payment must be made online via credit card.
- The artist and subject must be Australian residents from the date entries open until the date finalists are notified
- The artist must be 18 years old or above at the time of entry
- The artist and subject must have a connection with Brisbane
- This connection must be outlined as part of the entry process
- All subjects with a connection to Brisbane are welcome and admissible, including self-portraits.
- The Brisbane Portrait Prize does encourage artists to consider producing portraits of people who have contributed to Brisbane
- Directors, Officers and Employees of the Board are not eligible to enter (however volunteers are still eligible to enter)
- All subjects must have been alive for a sitting and granted permission for the artist to enter the artwork into the Brisbane Portrait Prize
An original artwork, entirely completed and owned outright by the submitting artist
All artwork must be 2 dimensional
All artists must have the Subject’s consent to enter the artwork in the Competition, including ensuring they understand the artwork may be displayed to the public.
Portraits must have been completed within the 3 year period leading up to the Prize entry date
Artworks must not have won first prize in any other major portraiture competition
All artists must have done at least one in-person live sitting with their subject
4th August 2021 Update: Due to the latest QLD Lockdown, we are allowing Zoom sittings.
In the interest of public health, it is essential that we all stay home at the moment. However, we appreciate that some artists have not yet completed a live sitting for their portrait. With this in mind, we will accept a virtual sitting for 2021.
Artwork must be:
- A maximum size of 2m high by 2m wide, inc the frame
A maximum weight of 15 kg, inc the frame
Wall-mountable, including use of D Rings and hanging wire.
May be multi-panelled, but combined size must fit within the above restrictions.
Original and not infringe the copyright, moral rights or other rights of any third party.
Additionally, for Digital artworks:
- The submitted portrait may be produced using photographic elements, manipulation of the image is welcomed, and this may be in the pre or post production of the image
- Selection weight will be given to those entries that display a clear artistic and creative approach to the subject
- All digital mediums are eligible, but must be presented in a 2D printed form that can be hung in display.
- Videos and other forms of display requiring power cables are not eligible